Blog Title....

Thursday, September 15, 2005

Being Asian in a non-Asian way...

So I’m Asian. South Korean, to be exact, but hey, can you tell the difference? See the society in which we live loves to categorize people, creating a giant conundrum for me and my people. (my people not being the Asians of the Midwest, but those of us who were adopted) Through the process of adoption, I inherited just enough but not quite enough. I received the straight black hair (the curl is not natural, a shock to all of you, I'm sure) and the brown eyes, short stature and ability to eat more rice than my white counterparts. However, I lacked the language, holidays, and all cultural aspects of being Asian. My physical appearance separates me from my white friends, while my cultural difference separates me from my Asian friends. Hailing from the Midwest, I find that, on most occasions, I remain the sole source of diversity in my classes, at parties, even in my family…the list seems endless. I lived the blissful life of ignorance until I was 5 years old. Until that point, on the playground, I was like every other five year old, well adjusted, with a diet consisting of Play dough and popcorn, and an uncanny ability to use the monkey bars. Then I began to notice the stares, and I began to identify with “my people.” Like any adopted Asian knowing nothing about his or her past, I had some questions. But more, I have questions for those of you who stop and stare at me because of the color of my skin. What is race? If there is no difference between my thoughts, opinions and upbringing of my white friends, then honestly, the only thing different about us is our appearance But does appearance alone determine what race we belong to? What does ‘belonging’ to a race even mean? Being black or white? Or eating certain foods and talking a certain way? Ultimately, race does not matter at all. The term race simply divides us instead of celebrating our differences. Putting people in boxes labeled white, black, brown, yellow, green (jaundice), and red is no different than sorting M&Ms that you eat at a movie theater…they all taste the same. Yet crunchy, peanut, peanut butter, and plain M&Ms come in different bags, each with their unique flavor and design. So what is race? A race is something you run, not something you are.

1 Comments:

  • At 10:13 AM, Blogger Anna said…

    Of all the blog postings I have read, yours intrigued me the most. My boyfriend has a little sister who was adopted from China. All of us love her to death and she is a happy child. However, when we go to the store lately, I noticed a lot of people staring and whispering. I am disappointed that society places such a big emphasis on race. I really liked your argument about the M & M's. My friends and I came up with a similar analogy; a box of crayons. The majority of my friends come from very different ethnic backgrounds. We were all members of our high school Multicultural club and were responsible for planning Diversity Day. We decided to hand out little packages of crayons to the student body. Without the different colors of crayons, a picture or drawing would be boring. However, when all of the colors come together, beautiful things can be created.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home